Surrey Festival of Dance (SFD) event organizers are preparing to launch the 49th annual dance festival; promising viewing audiences and participants one of the biggest and best festivals ever to take to the Main Stage in the Surrey Arts Centre. This year promises to be on of the largest festival to date with approximately 9,000 dancers from across the lower mainland converging on the City of Surrey for significant scholarships, bursaries and trophies. Monies awarded are designed to go toward the performer’s further study in the multiple dance disciplines in the Performing arts. This extraordinary event covers a wide variety of dance disciplines such as Classical Ballet, Contemporary, Modern, International, Jazz, Hip Hop/Street, Tap and Stage.
For as little as $2, the public is welcome to attend all competitive events throughout the month starting March 26 and ending April 29th, 2015. This is the optimum way to show a future dancer the many options available to them or simply to enjoy the startling beauty of each dance discipline. Young male and female dancers will benefit from watching everything from elegant ballet to the raw edge of Street and Hip Hop. Parents too will be highly entertained by the performances.
If you can’t make it to the individual competitions, the festival ends with the ever popular NO BORDERS Group Dance Challenge [$5 for each morning and afternoon session] on May 9th at 9:00am and the ultimate in dance performances; the HONOUR AWARDS beginning at 7:00pm the same day. All tickets can be purchased at the doors of the Main Stage in the Surrey Arts Centre.
In addition to our competitive program, the SFD offers an educational component to participants. Offered are Master Classes were dancers can work directly with adjudicators and improve their performance skills. Adjudicators are brought in to the festival from all over North America and are all leaders in their dance field. Most have had respected careers in movies, video and stage. Register throughout the month of the festival at the Main Stage doors of Surrey Arts Centre. Space limited.
- Over 8,000 dancers in all disciplines take to the stage in this month-plus dance-extravaganza. Over $50,000 in Scholarships and Bursaries awarded. Over 1 million dollars in scholarship & bursaries have been awarded since 1989
- One of the largest world class, international events of its kind
- Professional dancers in film, stage and video are hired from throught North America.
- Disciplines include: Classical Ballet, Contemporary, Modern, International, Jazz, Hip Hop/Street, Tap and Stage.
- Open to the Public. This is a great source of entertainment or for parents to give children an introduction to all disciplines of dance.